Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Baby Food Cake (Plum Cake)

For me, plum cake and fall are linked forever. One of the first Scottish Highland Games I attended with my future husband and in-laws (although we weren't even dating at the time) involved a picnic for which my mother-in-law made this cake--and it was a perfect fall day in October. It is an ideal picnic cake because it's easy to whip up and it keeps well--is even better the next day. It also freezes great. It's one of the recipes I've made the most from a cookbook she made for me of their family's favorite recipes. The original recipe calls for plum baby food, but I've begun having trouble finding "plum" specifically; any dark fruit (usually combined with apple) will work. I've often combined prune baby food with regular applesauce, and it's worked out just fine. It is also a dairy free cake for those for whom that's a requirement!

  • 2 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c. oil
  • 2 c. self-rising flour
  • 1 t. ground cloves
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • 12 ounces dark fruit baby food*
  • 1 c. nuts (optional)
*I never used my own baby food purees for this because mine were always thicker than store bought. I'm sure you could experiment though!

  1. Cream sugar and eggs. Add oil and mix well.
  2. Sift flour and spices. Add to creamed mixture.
  3. Add baby food and nuts (if using).
  4. Pour into greased and floured tube pan or two loaf pans.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for about an hour (start checking at 55 minutes). I use the toothpick test (toothpick coming out clean when stuck in middle of cake).
  6. Cool on a wire rack (in the pan) for about 10 minutes. Then, finish cooling on wire rack out of pan.
  7. Glaze while still warm (optional).
Optional Glaze (yummy! I've never tried freezing it this way, but you're welcome to attempt it!)
Boil 4 T. lemon juice and 1 c. powdered sugar. Poke holes in warm cake and pour glaze over cake.

Makes 1 tube cake or 2 loaf-sized cakes.

No comments: