Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Easy Beans and Rice


This is another quick gem from Saving Dinner. It's tasty and easy (sure, if you cooked your own beans and all, you might find a better recipe, but this one is perfect for a weeknight dinner). My toddlers like it, too; I serve the beans separately from the rice for them and they pick out the beans and sausage with their fingers.... Mmmmm.

Easy Beans and Rice
~Saving Dinner 

1 pound kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (can also use turkey smoked sausage)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cans red or black beans, drained
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (I've also used a can of diced tomatoes)
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. cayenne pepper, optional
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups brown rice, cooked

In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook sliced sausage for about 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and saute till veggies are tender. Add beans and tomatoes with their juice. Season with thyme, cayenne (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.

Serves 6

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm drawn to recipes with pictures. :) I need a visual to help me know what I'm doing. Anyway, I saw the skillet of sausage and beans and thought...I can do this. I didn't have any beans on hand but had on sale sausage. MMMM, it was delicious!! The recipe is now in my quick reference notecard box.
thanks!