This is a terrific strawberry cake recipe. Carrie's kids request it regularly for birthdays even though they're boys and the cake is pink! Frozen, unsweetened, whole strawberries can be used in place of fresh; just thaw before using.
~From The Cake Doctor
- 1 box plain white cake mix
- 1 (3-oz) strawberry jell-o
- 4 T. flour
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. finely chopped strawberries (fresh or thawed frozen) including juice
- Grease and flour 2 or 3 (9-inch) round cake pans.* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter in the three pans. Bake for 33-35 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and/or cake springs back to the touch.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto rack and allow to cool completely (30 minutes or more).
- 8 T. (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. finely chopped strawberries (fresh or thawed frozen) including juice (may want extra 1/2 cup or so for decorating cake)
- add more strawberries/juice if you want thinner frosting
- Beat butter on low speed until fluffy (about 20 seconds).
- Add powdered sugar and strawberries; beat on low speed until creamy and a spreadable consistency (if it's too thin, add more sugar; if it's too thick, add more strawberries).
- Assemble/ice cake when cake is completely cooled.