Thursday, July 24, 2014

CSA Week 8 (7/23/14)

I normally post my "haul" the day I receive it, but my day was so busy I didn't have time! My kids were at my mother-in-law's, so like any sane mom, I packed my day with kid-free errands. I was a machine... a machine, I tell you: clothes shopping, school supply shopping, library, post office, Farmer's Market, neighbor's house--all by 3:00 (when my conference call with my book group started)! I showed up at the market 5 minutes after the market officially closes. It's on these kinds of days that I start to wonder, "Is it worth it?" Grabbing a few vegetables when I was at the grocery earlier for milk/eggs/etc. would be easier in many ways. But when you know your farmer, it's more than just a shopping trip. Other vendors were putting their tents down, but Isaac was still set up and smiling! The Lord must have nudged him that I needed a little extra encouragement after my harried day because he threw a few extras into my box. There was 1 bunch of kale lingering that no one had bought, so in the box it went. Extra tomatoes went in the box (while I talked up the yellow tomatoes to a customer who had stopped by) along with some extra lettuce. Thanks for making my day, Isaac (and Colvins)!



So, this picture and list reflect a bit of a different box than most will receive (the cantaloupe just graces mid-week shares). It was a cloudy day, and I was in a hurry--so the picture is less than stellar. But here's the list:

  • 1 bag of red-skinned potatoes
  • 1 quart box of red and yellow tomatoes (plus some extras)
  • 2 summer squash
  • 1 bunch Swiss chard (plus some extra kale!)
  • 1 head Romaine lettuce (plus an extra)
  • 1 bag onions
  • 1 big bulb garlic
  • 1 small cantaloupe (mid-week shares only)
  • 1 bunch white carrots with tops (they're in the back left of the picture)

No comments: