Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup


Plan to make this soup with your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers this next fall (or go buy a turkey and make it while it's still nice and wintry!). It's become a main reason we cook a turkey even if we are having one at relatives' houses on the actual holiday. It makes a significant amount, so you can plan for this as a big dinner party sometime during the holidays. I make my turkey broth and cut up some extra turkey pieces the day after I roast the turkey. Then, I freeze the broth and meat until I'm ready to make the soup! It's very similar to the cream of chicken and wild rice soup at places like Panera or Atlanta Bread Company. Mmmmm...

Recipe from allrecipes.com

  • 1 leftover turkey carcass
  • 3 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 1 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain rice*
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules**
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
*I use a wild rice soup blend from a natural foods store--it includes some dehydrated veggies.
**Since I make my own broth with onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, I leave out the chicken bouillon granules.
  1. Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.(If you want a more flavorful soup, add in a roughly chopped onion, celery rib, and carrot along with salt and pepper; I make the broth and freeze it until I'm ready for the soup.)
  2. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  3. Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.
Serves 16

No comments: