Recipe from The Gourmet Light Cookbook
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1/8 t. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 T. Scotch
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T. cream
- a few gratings nutmeg
- Place the chicken, skin-side down, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sear it, covered, over high heat 3 minutes. Turn the chicken over, reduce heat to medium, cover, and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet to plate. Off the heat, deglaze the skillet with the Scotch. When the liquor quiets down, return to high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to loosen the particles stuck to the bottom. Reduce the liquid until it's just a film.
- Add the broth and the mushrooms to the skillet, cover, and boil, stirring occasionally until it's reduced to about 3 tablespoons liquid.
- Remove the skillet from heat, stir, and cool about 1 minute. Stir in cream, season with nutmeg, and pour it over the chicken.