From Joy of Cooking, 1997 edition
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. baking soda
- scant 1/2 t. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely grated or finely chopped peeled apples (about 2 medium), with juice
- 5 T. warm melted butter (unsalted, or use salted and cut back on the salt)
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Whisk eggs and sugar together; stir in apples with their juice and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper cups.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, soda, and salt together thoroughly.
- When the apple mixture has stood for 10 minutes, stir in butter and nuts. Combine with dry ingredients, stirring just until mixed. Batter will not be smooth.
- Divide mixture between muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 14-16 minutes. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack.
- These are best the day they are baked.