From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 11th edition
- 6 chicken legs (3 to 3 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 T. cooking oil
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 3/4-oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained (I've used frozen corn, too)
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chili peppers, drained
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/4 t. cumjin
- 1/8 t. pepper
- several dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T. sliced pitted rip olives (optional)
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- Skin chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Arrange chicken in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish (13x9-inch). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, cook onion in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in undrained tomatoes, drained corn, drained chili peppers, spices, and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, basting occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese and olives. If desired, serve over rice.