Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette

I'm a HUGE fan of our regular Basic Vinaigrette, but with our recent Weight Watchers routine, that salad dressing is too high in points. Most homemade "lite" vinaigrette recipes I've seen call for time consuming reductions of fruit juice or the substitution of chicken stock for part of the oil (and that, frankly, weirds me out). Enter this recipe: no chicken stock, terrific taste, and the oil has been cut in half. It makes a wonderful substitute for my old fave, the Basic Vinaigrette. In fact, I just used it on my favorite Fall Salad. Mmmm... I think I like it better than the other salad dressing!

~From America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook

  • 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 3 T. balsamic vinegar
  • 2 t. Dijon mustard
  • 2 t. minced shallot or red onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
  • 1 t. honey
  • 1 t. fresh oregano (or 1/3 t. or so dried)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.

~Makes about 1 cup.

No comments: