Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

My sister, Carrie, and I grew up eating a pretty divine chicken pot pie with a cheesy crust. Then, when I was in college, my roommate and I got rather addicted to the labor-intensive Joy of Cooking chicken pot pie. Needless to say, if labor-intensive is applied to a main dish, it often doesn't get made around here. Enter my friend Bridgette with her SUPER EASY chicken pot pie! We made this for the freezer when we cooked a bunch of meals in bulk. Freezer directions are below. Someday I'll post the recipe Carrie and I grew up with, but for now, please enjoy this scrumptious, easy, comforting recipe; double it to throw one in the freezer for later.

  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (the varieties with herbs are tasty in this)
  • 1 can cream of potato soup
  • 2 regular cans Veg-all, drained (or 1 bag frozen vegetables)
  • 2 c. chopped, cooked chicken
  • 1 box refrigerated pie crusts

Mix soups and vegetables together. Line a pie plate with one crust, pour in filling, top with remaining crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, watching to make sure crust doesn't burn (you basically want the crust cooked and the filling hot). (I will probably leave off the bottom crust since I'm used to chicken pot pie with only a top crust.)

To freeze and serve later: dump soups and vegetables into ziploc bag. Label and freeze. Freeze box of pie crusts separately. Thaw crusts and filling overnight in fridge. Proceed as directed above.

Makes 1 pie. Can be doubled or tripled with minimal extra effort!

No comments: