Recipe from Muffins A to Z (original title: Favorite Steiger Haus Carrot and Apple Muffins)
- 2 T. sugar (for optional topping)*
- 2 t. cinnamon (for optional topping)*
- 2 c. flour (I did half white whole wheat)
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 c. peeled, grated carrot (about 4 medium carrots)
- 1 c. peeled, cored, grated apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1/2 c. finally chopped hazelnuts (I left out)
- 1/2 c. dried currants or raisins
- 1/2 c. flaked sweetened coconut (I used unsweetened)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 t. vanilla extract
*I didn't use the extra topping--these muffins are already plenty sweet, so I didn't think it necessary.
- To make the topping, if using: In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter 12 muffin cups (or coat with nonstick spray or use paper liners).
- To make the batter: Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the carrots, apple, hazelnuts, currants or raisins, and coconut. This will form a large, gloppy-looking "batter."
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients all at once and fold just until evenly moistened. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. (You might need more than 12). Top with apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar topping if desired. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan (I found it better to actually remove them as soon as I could touch them because some of the oil stayed in the pan rather than soaking back into the already-moist muffins).
Makes 12 large muffins (or more!)