Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fajitas

This is my mother's recipe and is the best fajita marinade, hands down. I don't even try others anymore. I've used this for steak and chicken. We've grilled, broiled, and even baked the meat, depending on circumstances. The flavor is wonderful either way. Serve with tortillas, sauteed/grilled peppers and onions, cheese, and salsa. I usually serve pinto or black beans with this, cooked in the crockpot. As with most marinades, you can mix up the marinade, dump it in a ziploc bag with the meat, and freeze until the night before you want to use it! 

  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • 1/3 c. lime juice
  • 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 c. finely chopped onion
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. oregano (dried, whole--not powdered)
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 1/4 t. cumin (ground)
  • 2 pounds steak or chicken
Pound steak to tenderize. Mix all ingredients in large ziploc bag, turning to coat meat. Marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Grill (or bake) meat and serve with tortillas and preferred toppings.

Serves 6-8

2 comments:

Bridgette said...

Did you try cooking the chicken in the crockpot after using this marinade?

Betsy said...

I did... I put the chicken and marinade in with some chicken stock (didn't use any butter or storebought seasoning). It was about the same. I'm thinking the crock pot method might dilute the flavor somehow. I think this particular marinade works better grilled....