Friday, September 2, 2011

The Power of Choice

I'm always amazed that this strategy works, but work it does--at least in our household.

I'll put down a veggie medley of some sort and tell the kids they have to pick one or two things to eat...and they do! If I put down just carrot sticks, or just a bowl of green peas, someone will turn up his or her nose. Instead, here's what I do:

-with the frozen mixed veggie mix (corn, peas, green beans, and carrots), I'll tell them they have to eat 2 kinds or more.... Amazing. They do. Most of the time, carrots are left. (Can you blame them? Frozen carrots are gross--they cook to mush)

-with a crudite platter, if I put down two-three kinds (cukes, cherry tomatoes, and carrot sticks), I'll say to pick one thing. If I put 4 options down, they must pick 2 kinds to eat.

Try it! This works with stir-fry mixes, fried rice, even veggies in soups.... Let me know what works for your kids!

No comments: