Monday, January 9, 2012

Cull Those Magazines!!

A brief word on recipe collecting via magazines:

how many times do you save a magazine just for the recipes in it?

how many random sheets have you pulled out of magazines, intending to try the recipes given?

There's a better way! With rare exception (Cook's Illustrated comes to mind), most magazines post their recipes online. There's frequently a month or so delay, for obvious reasons (they still want you to buy their magazine, after all). However, once that initial time period is over, the recipe will be available via the web. I save magazines for about a month or two; if I haven't tried the recipe by then, it's not worth hanging onto a paper copy. Should I get a hankering for something along the same lines as the recipe I remember seeing a while back, I can do a quick search for the same recipe online--without having my counter/magazine holder/cookbook area cluttered up by recipes I'm going to try someday....

Try these websites (I'm sure there are more, but this is a good start)

MyRecipes.com (Southern Living, Sunset, Cooking Light, Food and Wine, and others)
Recipes.com (Better Homes and Gardens) (you may  have to be a subscriber to see all)
Epicurious.com (Gourmet, Bon Appetit)
The Food Network

No comments: