Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Herb Veggie Dip (aka Ranch)

We love us some Ranch dressing around here: the kids call it "white ketchup." And, while they aren't brand specific or anything, the homemade stuff usually doesn't pass muster.... until now! My 6-year-old helped me make this, and she pronounced it better than the usual stuff. She ate LOTS of veggies dunked in this delicious dip.

I like that it's mayo/yogurt because I usually have yogurt on  hand (as opposed to buttermilk). It also makes just a cup--easier to use up before it goes bad. I used fresh chives and parsley because, amazingly, they survived last night's snowfall. If you need to sub in dried herbs for the fresh, use 1 teaspoon instead of the tablespoon called for. I used everything listed, but the recipe says you can mix and match or use them all.

~from Simply in Season

  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise (I used lowfat)
  • 1/2 c. plain yogurt (I used lowfat)*
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 T. fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 T. fresh chives, chopped
  • 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 t. lemon juice
  • 1 t. celery seed
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/2 t. paprika
*for a thicker dip, drain about a cup of yogurt for a few hours in a cheesecloth or coffee filter-lined colander and use 1/2 cup of the thicker yogurt.

Mix mayo and yogurt and salt together. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Let chill for an hour (if you can wait that long!) and serve with fresh vegetables.

~Makes about a cup

No comments: