Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Curry Spice Blend

In honor of picking up my new Tupperware spice carousel tomorrow, I thought I'd post our favorite curry spice blend. If you're not a big curry- or Indian food fan, then you probably won't want to track these spices down. But, if you're an Indian and/or curry fan already, then you probably have these ingredients on hand. We like the spiciness of this blend--and it's very multidimensional. The blend will keep, well sealed, for about a year. I keep mine in a pint-sized Mason jar with screwtop lid. Curry is distinctive and pervasive--much as I like it, I don't want my entire spice cabinet smelling like it! Use this in place of curry powder in any recipe.

~from Dairy Hollow House Soup and Bread: A Country Inn Cookbook

  • 1/3 c. coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/4 c. ground cumin
  • 3 T. dry mustard
  • 3 T. ground turmeric
  • 3 T. good-quality curry powder
  • 1 1/2 T. ground cardamom
  • 1 1/2 T. ground coriander
  • 1 T. ground mace
  • 1 T. ground nutmeg
  • 1 T. ground cinnamon
  • 1 T. ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 t. ground cayenne pepper
Combine all and store in a tightly covered jar. 

No comments: