~Recipe adapted slightly from Paula Deen
- 1 whole chicken, 3-5 pounds, rinsed and cut into several pieces
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 t. Lawry's seasoned salt
- 2 t. House seasoning (see below)
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. crushed red pepper
- 1/4-1/2 c. butter
- 8 c. water
- 3 c. white rice
- Combine chicken, sausage, and seasonings in large stockpot. Pour water over. Bring to a boil, cover, and boil gently for 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces and let cool enough to handle.
- Add rice to stock mixture. Bring to boil and boil gently 10 minutes. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, strip chicken meat from bones. Discard bones and skin.
- When rice is done, add chicken meat back to pot and stir.
House Seasoning: (I use this on all kinds of things--roasted sweet potatoes, ordinary rice, eggs, whatever...)
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
~optional: add some onion powder--few teaspoons or so
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.