Blueberry Coffee Cake
~from Simply in Season
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour + 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. sugar + 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. cinnamon + 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 c. blueberries
- 1 t. lemon zest, optional
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. melted butter or oil
- 2 T. butter
- 1/3 c. chopped walnuts or pecans or almonds
- Prepare topping and set aside: mix second amounts of whole wheat flour (1/3 c.), sugar (1/3 c.), butter (2 T.), cinnamon (1 t.), and the chopped nuts.
- For batter, combine flour, first amount of whole wheat flour (1/2 c.), first amount of sugar (1/2 c.), baking powder, first amount of cinnamon (1 t.), and salt. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest, if using.
- Combine egg (slightly beaten), milk, and melted butter or oil. Add to batter mixture and fold in, mixing gently until all is combined.
- Spread/pour batter into greased 8x8-inch pan. Sprinkle topping over.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until top is light golden brown (I had to cover mine with foil the last few minutes while the inside finished cooking--use a toothpick to test). Serve warm or at room temperature.