Saturday, August 18, 2012

Eggplant Casserole

Definitely not a Weight Watchers recipe here. A retro recipe of my mom's and grandmother's and one that takes me back instantly to my childhood dinners. It remains the only way I like to eat eggplant. No picture because it's not very pretty ☺. The eggplants were pretty--I should have taken a picture of them! You can also make this with yellow squash; we always made this with eggplant, though.

Eggplant Casserole

  • 2 c. peeled, cubed eggplant
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 c. grated sharp Cheddar
  • 1/2 stick butter (4 T.)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
  1. Boil eggplant and onion together until tender (about 10 minutes or so).
  2. Drain eggplant mixture well and mash.
  3. Combine remaining ingredients except Ritz crackers with the eggplant/onion mixture. Stir in 1/2 the Ritz cracker crumbs.
  4. Spoon/pour into a greased casserole (maybe a 1 1/2-2 quart? I used a round pottery dish and don't know the volume). Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until crumbs are browned.
 Serves 6

No comments: