Friday, June 14, 2013

Swiss Chard Quiche



I don't know about you, but I'm a tentative Swiss Chard eater. I keep getting lured back because it's just SO pretty!! But, honestly, it tastes a touch grassy. Enter: quiche. Inspired by Lia's Spinach and Bacon Quiche, I decided to use this week's chard in a crustless quiche for a quick dinner last night. The verdict: even the kids gobbled it down. I used Rainbow Chard; if you use that or Ruby Chard, your quiche will be a little gray inside. Just warning you! Incidentally, I was able to use green garlic AND a big spring onion from our CSA, too!


Swiss Chard (Crustless) Quiche
~based on this recipe

  • 1 "pour" olive oil (a tablespoon? maybe?)
  • 1 bunch Swiss chard (a little more than 1/2 a pound)
  • 1 clove garlic, sliced
  • 1 small (~3-inch) onion, chopped
  • 1-2 small green onions (unless your onion is green and has a nice green stalk coming out!), sliced
  • 1 T. pesto
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/4 c. milk (I used 2%)
  • 2 1/2 cups mixed shredded cheese (I used cheddar, Mexican crumbling cheese, monterey jack, and some Parm--cleaning out the cheese drawer!)
  • salt and pepper to taste

  1. Remove chard stems from leaves (the thick parts--I cut off leaves until the stem was about 1/8-inch thick).  Slice stems thinly and chop leaves coarsely (but keep separate).
  2.  Saute chard stems, garlic slivers, and chopped onion together in hot oil until tender (they don't need to caramelize or anything).
  3. Add in chopped leaves and green onions (I used about 1-inch of the green tops of my big green onion for this). Add a little water, and stir until leaves are wilted and cooked (they won't be mush--but they will cook down quite a bit). Keep stirring until water is gone.
  4. Whisk eggs and milk together. Add cheeses and stir. Fold in Swiss Chard mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Pour into a greased deep dish pie plate.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until quiche is set.
~Serves 8

No comments: