Thursday, June 13, 2013

CSA Week 3 (6/13/13)

It was a bit stormy out today when we drove over to pick up the week's veggies from Caleb Colvin, but thankfully it had stopped once we got to the market. He told me it was a bit of a light week, but that's perfect with me: the kids and I are headed to visit my grandmother and mom this week, and my hubby probably isn't going to want to cook a bunch of stuff when he comes home from work. He's a great chef but workdays can be long; I'll be leaving him some of the salad greens and taking the bok choy and onions with me (inspired by Lia's post about quiche a couple of weeks ago, we're going to try a chard and garlic quiche tonight). It may be a "lighter" week, but that's still a big mess of leaves for us to nibble on! Mmmm



The week's haul:
  • 2 heads bok choy
  • 1 bag spring mix
  • 1 head green leaf lettuce
  • 1 head red leaf lettuce (looks like butter lettuce)
  • 2 clumps of chard
  • 2 stalks green garlic
  • several "green" onions (but they're a couple inches in diameter)
 And we still have one bunch of kale left from last week plus a few radishes! 

I heard a little rumor that we'll get some summer squash next week! And, in case you'd like to see what was growing this time last year, check out the pick-up on June 14, 2012.

2 comments:

Colvin Family Farm said...

Thanks for the great post! It's incredibly encouraging to hear how families are using our vegetables. I know you'll love chard in your quiche! Quiche is one of my 'clean out the frig' recipes... Can't go wrong especially when you add bacon!
Thanx!
The Farmer's Wife
Val

Betsy said...

We did enjoy our quiche! Thanks for the chard :-).