Thursday, June 27, 2013

Zucchini Pizzas

This is a "pizza" that the Colvins introduced us to the first year we joined their CSA. It's a fun lunch for kids, and it's a great way to introduce zucchini. I'll admit that this year, my kids weren't as gung-ho about these, but in the past, they've gobbled them up with nary a second thought about the "crust." Perhaps they're onto me and my wily ways with vegetables. Hmm.... I'm sure you can make these with regular ol' zucchini, but we use the 8-ball (round) ones from the Colvins. There's a video of Val (the farmer's wife) making these that I need to track down. But for now, here is the way I make them and some pictures....  (these zucchini haven't been in our shareholder boxes yet, but I'm sure they will be soon! And, in the meantime, it helps having friends like Isaac :-))

Zucchini Pizzas

  • 1/4-inch thick horizontal slices of 8-ball zucchinis
  • pizza sauce
  • mozzarella cheese
  • mini pepperonis
  • olive oil
  1.  Lay zucchini slices on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and let sit while you get the rest of the ingredients ready and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Pat zucchini slices dry with a paper towel, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with a touch of salt, and bake at 450 degrees until they look a tiny bit shriveled/dry. (sorry--I didn't time this!)
  3. Spread with pizza sauce, top with cheese and pepperonis, and pop back in the oven until the cheese melts.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments: