Thursday, July 18, 2013

CSA Week 8 (July 18, 2013)

We were out of town and missed two CSA pick-ups in a row :-(. I didn't realize how used to eating so many vegetables we'd gotten until we were on the road for 10 days. By the time we got home, I just wanted to eat leaves. I could have gotten some fresh produce in the groceries we passed, but it's hard to get good quality vegetables in restaurants.

Anyway, we picked up our box today! Here's what we got:
  • bag of new potatoes--maybe 2 pounds?
  • 3 tiny cucumbers
  • 2 bunches? heads? ?? young celery--what do you call celery when it's all together?
  • 2 small heads cauliflower
  • 1 small head broccoli
  • 1 nice yellow squash
  • 2 head lettuce
  • 1 big green onion
  • LOTS of onions
When I get lots of onions, you know what I think of? Onion Casserole. Trust me.... it's GOOD. It's my mother-in-law's recipe, but I've had a similar one that uses a pie crust and was in a pie plate. If you don't have enough onions for the one I linked to, try halving it and cooking it with a pie crust. You can use regular onions, too, if you don't have Vidalias. I've got a few other recipes in mind, too!

No comments: