Saturday, June 7, 2014

Drumroll, Please… CSA Week 1 (6/7/14)

YEAH!!!! Our CSA 2014 season officially started today (even though I got a sneak peek a few weeks ago). Mmm…. Before I share what we took home today, let me first explain two things:

  1. I'm a virtual farmhand for the Colvins. That means that my family receives a share from them in return for my blog posts/social media activity on their behalf. I did this unofficially for a couple of summers before they offered me an official partnership, and we've very much enjoyed working together! To see our previous years, just click on the CSA label.
  2. We've been in and out of town and are doing a new pick-up day/spot this year, so there was some miscommunication about when we would actually pick up our first share. I showed up today (normally, Wednesday will be my day), and my name wasn't on the list (I'm always impressed they can keep up at all with any of our vacation requests since I know they spend most of their time working on the farm and NOT on their computer). Anyway, I got to pick out a share's worth from the stand rather than just pick up a box. I think I got mostly the same stuff anyway, but it was fun to actually pick it out. I realized, though, that it's also quite nice for them to make those decisions on my behalf and me just be pleasantly surprised! There's so much delicious-ness at the booth, it's right hard to decide.
Without further ado, here's today's "haul":
  • 2 bunches purple kale
  • 1 bunch purple and green kohlrabi (those funny purple root things in the left of the picture)
  • 1 bunch small white turnips (by request of the child with me--she likes them mixed in with mashed potatoes; I can guarantee that this type of request is a direct offshoot of doing a CSA for several years)
  • 1 bunch mustard greens (also a request by the child)
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 2 heads butter crunch lettuce
Bring on the greens, baby! (Don't forget that you can eat turnip and kohlrabi greens--separate your leafy tops from the your roots the day you get your shares and store them separately.)


2 comments:

Bridgette said...

I got my first share today! Kale, radishes (I got as extra from my pick-up monitor because she didn't want hers), arugala flowers, turnips, 1 summer squash, 1 8-ball squash, mustard greens, two green onions and two heads of lettuce. I'm excited!

Bridgette said...

I just noticed you go purple kale!!! I'm super jealous and I'm switching my pick up spot today so that I can go to a market to get my produce. That way, even if the Colvins don't have any, I can still get some from other farmers.