Saturday, August 16, 2014

Cookbook Review: Brassicas


Brassicas
Laura B. Russell
Ten Speed Press, 2014

I was intrigued by this cookbook as soon as I read the description--it's full of recipes for vegetables in the brassicas group (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, greens of all sorts, Brussels sprouts, turnips, kohlrabi, etc.). These are often the vegetables that appear in our CSA box and are the new experiences for shareholders (especially the leafy ones) when compared with vegetables like green beans, tomatoes, and onions.

This is my new favorite cookbook. No doubt about it. Everything I've tried has been delicious!!! And, there is very little dairy added to cover up the taste of the vegetable; instead of heavy cheese sauces or casseroles, the vegetables are cooked in such a way that they really taste delicious on their own merits. For instance, I've tried Brussels sprouts several times over the years--even roasting them, but it wasn't until I roasted them the way this book instructed that I really liked them. Liked them enough, in fact, to make them a second time the same week. 

Broccoli is a regular feature around here, yet I still found that the manner in which it was cooked in this book raised the bar. Kale and Sweet Potato Saute is my new favorite breakfast. I can't wait to try the other recipes!

Photography is well done, organization is top notch, recipes are easy to read and follow, and recipes require little special equipment. Notations are provided for vegan, dairy free, and other dietary concerns. Perhaps the only downside to the recipes is that some of them require a fair amount of oil. Not more than an ordinary person uses, but if someone is on a diet like Weight Watchers where fat is penalized pretty severely, these recipes might be out of reach. 

If you want to eat more vegetables or are a CSA shareholder who needs some ideas for those mysterious brassicas in your box, check this cookout out.

For more information, check out the following links:
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this unbiased review.

No comments: