Thursday, September 18, 2014

Easy Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa

A quick search online shows many "roasted tomatillo" salsa recipes, and, frankly, they all look too labor intensive for this busy momma. Roasting as the first step is an automatic turn-off right now. I just don't have the time. One of the reasons I enjoyed the chili we made last week using our tomatillos is that it was a simple matter of roughly chopping said tomatillos and dumping them in the pot. But I do love me some salsa verde, and tomatillos are a key ingredient.

Thankfully, the latest cookbook I've received to review is a book full of Tex Mex recipes, and it has a tomatillo salsa recipe perfect for my crazy lifestyle--and the perfect recipe to multiply and freeze! (You could probably can it, too, but I don't know how to tell you to do that as far as timing/processing might work.) I've adapted it to work with the amount of tomatillos I get in my CSA box from the Colvins. I also used Colvin onions and garlic! Seriously, folks, this is an easy peasy recipe. It's also not terribly spicy, despite the chipotles in it.



Easy Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa
~slightly adapted from The Homesick Texan's Family Table


  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos
  • 2 small onions
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
  • salt to taste
  1. Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse the sticky residue off. Remove the small core and slice the fruits in half.
  2. Peel onions and garlic cloves.
  3. Dump tomatillos, onions, and garlic into a medium-sized pot along with the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  4. Let cool enough to puree.
  5. Using a slotted spoon, put cooked tomatillos, onions, and garlic into a food processor or blender. Puree along with the chipotle chilies, adding some of the cooking water if needed to get the consistency you want.
  6. Salt to taste (salt definitely helps, so don't be too shy with it).
  7. Use right away, keep in the fridge for about a week, or freeze.
~Makes 4-5 cups.

No comments: