Friday, October 3, 2014

Cookbook Review: The Homesick Texan's Family Table by Lisa Fain

The Homesick Texan's Family Table: Lonestar Cooking from my Table to Yours
Lisa Fain
Ten Speed Press, 2014

The last cookbook I reviewed spoke to my mother's side of the family from Mississippi. But, y'all, I was born in Texas, so I come by this one honestly. My dad's from Texas, and we're right proud of that little fact.

The Homesick Texan's Family Table is a delightful cookbook to peruse. There are lots of recipes featuring the subtle heat from chipotles, some tried and true Texan favorites (chicken spaghetti and references to chicken fried steak--NOT "country fried"), and a host of true Tex-Mex recipes. I grew up eating burritos or tacos on a weekly basis and was rather shocked to find, when I got to college (out of the state) that not everyone had grown up eating similarly. Well done, tasteful food photography accents many recipes. Simplicity rules, and the organization follows suit. An index in the back as well as a mini table of contents for each section makes this cookbook easy to navigate.

Fain is a Texan by birth, but she lives in New York now. This cookbook springs from the work on her popular blog (Homesick Texan). The question is: does the cookbook work? Does it please fellow Texans? Do the recipes taste good? I've sampled three to date, but I plan to try lots more. So, yes, it pleases fellow Texans. The Cowboy Beans will be a regular feature around here. And the Caballero Cookies? YUM YUM. They remind me of the Ranger Dan cookies we ate at summer camp--in Texas, of course. Delicious!

If you know a Texan or enjoy Tex Mex, this is a fun cookbook to check out. You may also want to check out:


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review

No comments: