Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hamburger Stroganoff

This is a favorite around here and a dish I grew up eating. Easy, inexpensive, adaptable--perfect. The recipe below is as specific as I can get--it's very flexible.

  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 3 T. butter
  • 1 T. flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 4 oz. can mushrooms*
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • cooked rice 
*just for the record, I leave out the mushrooms 'cuz we don't like them. 
  1. Brown meat and onions in butter. Add garlic to the meat mixture along with the mushrooms. (Drain mushrooms for a thicker sauce; leave undrained for a thinner sauce.) Sprinkle flour, salt, and pepper over browned meat. Heat to boiling and then simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. (My mom and I are puzzled at this "direction" since there's not much to "boil"--so I sort of skip it...or bring things to "boiling" and then just go to the next step.)
  2. Blend soup and sour cream together. Add to meat mixture.
  3. Heat through.
  4. Serve over hot rice.
Serves 4-6.

No comments: