Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 11th edition
- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion (1 small)
- 8 ounces tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 of a 6-ounce can tomato paste (1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook carrot and green onion in a small amount of water till tender; drain.
- For filling, in a medium bowl mash tofu with a fork. Stir in the carrot-onion mixture, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the egg white, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a saucepan combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic powder, and, if desired, fennel seed. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, unocvered, for 10 minutes.
- Stuff each cooked shell with about 1 rounded tablespoon of the filling. Place shells in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish. pour sauce over shells. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven about 25 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. If desired, serve with Parmesan cheese.
Since tofu seems to come in 12-ounce or 14-ounce packages, if you double this, I would suggest simply using whatever size tofu package you find and making up the difference with ricotta cheese. Jumbo shells come at least 24 to a box, so doubling would be no trouble there.
Taking short cuts:
Substitute a jar of spaghetti sauce for the sauce ingredients. Buy pre-shredded cheese. Skip the carrot/green onion step.