Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Easy Bierrocks



(Sorry the picture is flipped on its side--it's oriented correctly on my computer, so who knows...) These little things are usually made with homemade roll dough, but I took a shortcut and used some tubes of pizza dough (3 for the filling recipe) to save some time. My children loved them! It's a great way to sneak some cabbage in/use some up (for some reason, every time I buy a head of cabbage, I always have more than I can use up). My husband says they taste like egg rolls with pizza crust. Hmmm.... Anyway, if you'd like to make the dough from scratch, pretty much any hot roll recipe will work.

Filling recipe from More-with-Less

1 1/2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey (I used turkey)
1/2 c. chopped onion
3 c. cabbage, finely cut
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
dash Tabasco

Brown meat and onion. Add remaining ingredients. Cover skillet and cook over low heat until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Do not add water/liquid. Cool slightly.

Roll dough out and cut into 5-inch squares. (Or, unroll pizza dough from tube and cut into 6 squares.) Place 2 tablespoons filling in each square, pinch edges together, and place pinched sides down on greased cookie sheet (I left mine pinched sides up). If using roll dough, let rise 15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Makes roughly 18 little bierrocks if using pizza dough; recipe says it serves 10

No comments: