Recipe from How to Cook Everything, 10th anniversary edition
- 1 1/2 c. cornmeal (I use stone ground yellow)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 T. sugar, more if you like your cornbread sweet
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk or yogurt
- 2 T. drippings, butter, or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place fat in ovenproof 8-inch skillet or baking pan (cast iron is best!). Place over medium heat; heat until good and hot, about 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Combine dry ingredients. Mix eggs and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just until moistened. Pour batter into hot skillet and put in oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until sides start to pull away from pan and top is lightly browned. A toothpick inserted in middle should come out clean.
Makes one 8-inch cornbread