Monday, April 19, 2010

Grandmother's Butter Burgers

I have vivid memories of these from when I was growing up. When I first made them for my husband, I felt exceptionally grown up since I knew this was what my mom and grandmother had made before me! He enjoyed them, so I will be cooking them for my family like my mom and grandmother did for theirs. These make a great "winter burger" when it's too cold to grill something. These are very seasoned; if you need more than 4, you could easily add another half pound of meat without changing much of the seasonings.

Side Dish Serving Suggestions: mashed potatoes and steamed green peas

  • 5 T. butter
  • 1/2 c. cottage cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 t. prepared mustard
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/8 t. pepper
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T. "kitchen bouquet"*
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • 3 T. melted butter
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 4 slices bacon
*kitchen bouquet is a spice mix; you can use any spice mix you like in place of it or omit it all together.

Melt butter in skillet. In mixing bowl, mash cottage cheese with a fork. Add egg and spices and 3 tablespoons butter from skillet. Beat with hand mixer until well mixed. Add beef and mix thoroughly with fork. Make 4 burgers using full 1/2 cup for each. Shape gently and wrap with bacon. Broil slowly or cook in skillet in remaining butter.

Serves 4

No comments: