Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Taco Seasoning Mix

When we got married, my husband said he didn't like Mexican food. (gasp!) Anathema! It turned out that he didn't like taco seasoning/tacos. Well, I don't either! One day, I had a recipe that called for taco seasoning, and, of course, I didn't have any. I found this recipe in my freezer cookbook, but left out the chili powder (was also out of that!). I think that the chili powder is what turned us off of regular taco seasoning because we really like this mix without it. Hence the "optional" next to that particular ingredient.

~From Meals for a Month

  • 1/3 c. dried minced onion
  • 2 T. dried minced garlic
  • 1/4 c. chili powder (optional)
  • 1 T. ground cumin
  • 1 T. ground coriander
  • 1 T. smoked paprika
  • 4 t. sugar
  • 4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. black pepper
  • 1/4 t. white pepper (or use more black pepper)
  • 1/2 t. red pepper
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  •  
Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix well with a fork to blend. Pour into container, seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

Use 2 tablespoons to substitute for a 1.25-oz package of commercial taco seasoning.


~Makes 6 batches/"packets"

No comments: