Thursday, June 27, 2013

CSA Week 5 (6/27/13)

What happens when you're out of town and/or not diligent in eating up some of your greens from the CSA? Well, you realize you better act like a rabbit and hop to it...cuz there's more on the way! I'm delighted with this week's "haul" because I have the perfect recipe to share and because there's a bok choy salad recipe I've been eying--so I'll get to try that, too!

Here's what we got:
  • 1 bunch small red onions (aren't they cute?!)
  • 2 green garlic stalks (garlic scapes)
  • 3 small heads bok choy
  • 3 small heads red leaf lettuce
  • 1 8-ball zucchini (time for more zucchini pizzas!)
  • 3 yellow summer squash
  • 4 cucumbers
  • 1 good-sized head cabbage
Um, here's what we still have left!
  • 1 head bok choy
  • 1 large 8-ball zucchini
  • lots of lettuce
  • turnips
  • radishes
You may be wondering what we HAVE been eating to have all that left over. Let me remind you that last week, we picked up on Saturday instead of Thursday, so we had 2 less days to munch our way through the veggies. AND, the husband was out of town for 2 days, and the kids and I have picnicked several days this week. So, we plowed our way through 2 bunches of kale, a big batch of summer squash, 1 large 8-ball zucchini, more lettuce, some onions, and several cucumbers. Clearly, I need to be better about serving vegetables at breakfast, so we have more opportunities to eat them up!

Last summer, when we had company, I often didn't serve CSA veggies because, with a small share, I didn't have quite enough of some things to serve a large group. That, clearly, is NOT going to be a problem this summer, and I'm delighted to be hosting a few folks on Saturday who can sample the bok choy salad with us.

And, in case you're curious, you can see what this week's share looked like last summer. Some definite overlap!

No comments: