Carrot Apple Ginger Soup
~from Oh She Glows (you MUST check out her amazing photographs)
- 1T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup diced onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. fresh grated ginger
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped (~5 cups)
- 4 c. water or vegetable broth (I used water with a touch of extra salt)
- pinch of nutmeg--totally forgot this!!
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion for about 5 minutes, or until translucent (adjust heat as needed). Add garlic and ginger and cook for a couple more minutes (she says low--I did medium-medium high). Add apple and carrot and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender (I forgot about it and let it go 30...).
- Let cool slightly and then puree in blender, with an immersion blender, or in a food processor with rubber gasket. Soups can be really tricky and explode everywhere if they're too hot and you're pureeing them, so pulse gently at first.... The whole batch fit in my big food processor, but you might need to do it in batches if you're using a blender.