Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Toddler Meals: the Guarantees

I don't know about the rest of you out there who are feeding toddlers, but mine seem to eat like it's their last meal one night and then pick at their food for the next three nights. I've been told this is typical, but it certainly makes meal planning a frustration at times. So, I don't plan for them much--just expect them to eat what the adults are eating for dinner.

That being said, there are a few meals that I know they won't eat (spicy/weird ethnic comes to mind) or times when we just want to order pizza (the younger two toddlers aren't up to pizza eating skill yet). So, what do I feed my toddlers when they've not eaten much lately, won't eat what I'm serving tonight, or just need a good dose/boost of veggies or protein (the two categories that seem to fall by the wayside during eating strikes)? Here's my list of guarantees--the foods I know they'll eat if at all hungry. If you have any guarantees, please share them!

Protein Options:
Beans (black, pintos, etc.)
Eggs in any form
Hot dogs
Chicken nuggets (yes, we have a big bag in the freezer)
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt
Peanut Butter

Veggie Options:
Fancy Spinach (this is practically a complete meal with all the eggs and cheese in it; my kids LOVE this)
Cottage Cheese and Spinach Gratin--the easy version (again, practically a complete meal with the addition of a carb; my kids INHALE this....go figure)
Baked or Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Butternut Squash Souffle (only if I'm feeling extra generous with my time :) )
Steamed Broccoli
Steamed Peas or straight from the bag frozen (must feel good on those little teething gums)
Pumpkin puree stirred into yogurt

Combos/Meals:
Quesadillas (anything works here: whole wheat tortillas, cheese, and anything else they might eat--including chopped cooked broccoli, chicken, beans, etc.)
Hot dog, cottage cheese, peas in a little divided plate--a staple for my older daughter when I was in the midst of a twin pregnancy
Creamy Peanut Chicken (with extra veggies mixed in)
Pumpkin Yogurt or smoothie

2 comments:

Bridgette said...

I'm with you on this one. One day he can't get enough and the next he goes all day with only dry cereal in him. Guarantees in our house definitely include hotdogs, yogurt, PB&J, and usually cheddar or string cheese. He also always will eat peanut butter crackers (the homemade kind) and toast. I most recently tried toast with peanut butter and although it is messy he really liked it. Peanut butter is literally finger-licking good in my house!

$5 Dinner Mom said...

Amen! I can def relate!
I LOVE the new look!
I want to try the cottage cheese spinach dish! Sounds like a yummy Thanksgiving morning breakfast option. I usually do an egg casserole, but this would be yummy too!