Friday, June 15, 2012

CSA + Garden Haul Week 4 (6/14/12)

We're off and running! Hard to believe it's mid-June already. I had the lettuce in the sink to wash it before I remembered to take my picture. The rest is lined up, ready for the wash water. I usually do lettuce first and let it soak for a bit (my standard practice even with grocery store lettuce--helps refresh it some if it's gotten wilty). Then I wash the squashes and cukes if they're especially dirty; otherwise, I wash them just prior to use. Then I do the remaining greens. I save radishes and potatoes for the end because they're the dirtiest. Here's what we have to work with this week:

CSA:
  • 1 nice head red leaf lettuce
  • Lots of summer squash (even got a couple extras--thanks, Caleb and Colvins!)
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • some arugula (yum!!)
  • nice sized bag of kale
  • more radishes (still learning to like these, myself)
  • about a pound of red potatoes
  • 2 cucumbers (so excited these are "in"--hope we continue to get lots of these!)
Garden:
  • basil is coming along. Not enough for pesto yet, but enough to add in here and there to recipes
  • lots of tomatoes setting!!! Still green and they look to be lots of cherry tomatoes
  • cucumber and watermelon and bell pepper plants all look good
Possible Menu Ideas:
  • Curried Cauliflower "Popcorn" or Cauliflower Soup (haven't posted this recipe either yet!)
  • Stir-fried kale
  • more salad
  • Squash casserole plus some frozen zucchini for future zucchini bread
  • Arugula pasta salad--one of our favorites last year and I'll have to post the recipe this year

No comments: